10 Tips to help you through your first days of P90X
By: Jamie Len Cumbo
I am currently on a personal journey to health and doing P90X. As I have gone through this journey the past 45 days, I have learned a lot so far. Here are some simple tips I have put together to help you get through your first days of doing the program and getting you in the best shape of your life!
1. You will not be able to do everything in the video, so don’t get discouraged. There are some moves I still cannot even do one of (for example, single arm push ups, even on my knees). Don’t get discouraged you can’t do all the exercises…get excited because this means that you have things to work towards.
2. Stick to the workout schedule. The workouts you tend to dread the most, are typically the ones you need to do the most. Whatever exercises you can’t do, simply improvise. Don’t switch around workouts. Don’t skip Yoga because you don’t think you need it. There is science behind why certain workouts are done after others. If you want hardcore results, stick to the schedule and don’t deviate.
3. Get your workout in first thing in the morning. This way, you cannot come up with excuses later in the day for not getting your workout in. Make it a priority, like brushing your teeth each morning. Some people argue that they are just not a morning person, I can’t… I can’t… I can’t… is all I hear. MAKE YOURSELF a morning person. You will learn to love starting your day off getting your P90x workout in first thing.
4. Make sure you eat enough during the 90 days. Most people think they should only eat 3 meals a day. WRONG. If you don’t eat enough, especially in a program where you are torching calories, you will not make it. I eat up to 6 and 7 times a day right now! I try to eat my largest meals earlier in the day, then it tapers off as the day goes on. I don’t count calories, because I eat clean and have learned how to ‘listen’ to my body and its nutritional needs. This takes time. The key in the beginning is eating the right foods.
5. Drink a protein shake an hour before bed. This will help give your body fuel to get you through the night so you don’t wake up hungry. I made this mistake of following the old myth that we shouldn’t eat after dinner. I just couldn’t do it and found myself starving at 3am. Having a protein shake gave my body what it needed to help the muscles grow while I slept.
6. Drink Shakeology every day. This will give you more benefits during the 90 days than all others combined. With the super foods included in the ingredients, you will recover quicker from your workouts, have increased energy, it will curb your cravings causing you to make healthier food choices, and you will FEEL better each day.
7. Remember, your abs are made in the kitchen. A clean diet is so important during these 90 days. If you’re going to commit to doing the program, make a full out commitment. Cut out the junk, processed foods, diet soda, and sugar and you will see incredible results. You owe it to yourself to give it everything you have for 90 days. No cheats, no excuses.
8. Keep a journal. Carry your ‘WHY’ around with you to read for motivation. Why these 90 days are going to change your life and what it means to you. Write down everything you eat. And have your goals on hand. This will help keep you on track when you have a ‘moment’. We all have them. The difference is some get over it quick because they are thinking about the end result, and the others give into temptation. Remember, 90 days to change your life.
9. Weigh yourself and take measurements every week. No more, no less. This is a biggie because doing the P90X program will build muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat. It is easy to get discouraged if that number doesn’t go down. However, when you can clearly look at pictures each week and see the transformation taking place before your eyes, you will see the hard work paying off.
10. Connect with a group of others who are on the same journey. The more you surround yourself with others who inspire you to be better and understand what you are going through as you work so hard to live a healthier life, the more you will go in that direction. The ups, the downs, and the obstacles along the way are easier to get through when you have others for support.
Regardless of what fitness program you choose to do, this is a commitment to literally change your life. You will do things you never thought you could. When you have your health and you feel better then you have ever felt before, it will reflect in all areas.
It starts with a heart full of commitment and knowing you have the power to change.